Monday, May 4, 2020

Started a new star quilt


So I started another quilt. It was an accident... really...not planned at all.
Remember those vintage scraps and old blocks that I was organizing? I remade the friendship star blocks and put the 16 of them together as a future quilt center. Well, I was thinking about it at night and thought, "what if I cut up all the scraps that matched the stars and surrounded my center with a huge star.
This was about midnight...couldn't sleep. I pulled out my laptop with my EQuilter program and started playing with ideas.
Long story short... About 3am I finished my design and in the morning I wanted to test out one block. Just to see if I liked it. And I haven't stopped. May as well finish it at this point.
So the plan is to make one more border of star points. The quilt will be 72" sq, a good size I think.
These are some of the vintage fabrics I tucked into the star points. This stripe above and the brown print below, are early 1900's fabrics!
This stripe with the flowers is 50's I think (36" wide). It's a really nice, crisp cotton.
I'm still organizing the vintage scraps too. The ones that don't make it into this star quilt will go into my next one. THAT quilt needs to wait! No more starts allowed!



3 comments:

Jenny said...

That looks great, didn't you do a wonderful and quick job!

Cathy said...

That quilt is absolutely stunning! You’ve done a good thing, combining old and new. You get a gold star for your old stars!!

Jenna S said...

Lovelyy blog you have here

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...