Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Projects, projects and more projects


If you follow my blog, you know I can't just work on one thing at a time. I get bored easily.
So as I'm working on my version of a 1918 quilt, I'm also working through this box of vintage blocks and scraps.
These vintage friendship blocks are a mess...shredded and frayed. I took each apart, pressed them and remade them. They were a variety of sizes so I cut them to be finished at 4-1/2". I had 20 blocks...4 turned out to be so bad that I had to make them into 3" blocks. The 16 others were stitched to form a quilt center.
I kept the original fabrics as much as possible.
I haven't decided on what to do next with this center but most likely I'll form a pieced star around it.
The box also had a few blocks that were attached...the start of a quilt. But there wasn't any more purple or yellow so I took the blocks apart. I'll decide later how to use them.

And then there's these hexagons cut out of 30's fabrics. They're SO pretty. Some past quilter drew on fabric and cut these out. She started making hexagon flowers then never finished. So I'm taking her cutouts and her scraps, and I'm making more flowers. These will be appliqued to solid fabric along with hers. That's as far ahead as I've planned. I'm just having fun finishing up her projects.
So speaking of finishing up, I completed my top today.
It's dreary and rainy out so the color doesn't show well, but the top is done. I'll pin baste it over the weekend. 
I gave it a good press and starch this afternoon. 
 I really love the colors in it. It looks exactly as I hoped it would.


2 comments:

Karen said...

Your completed top sings gloriously to me. I look forward to seeing it quilted.

Northern Deb said...

Thank you, Karen!

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...