Sunday, April 19, 2020

My next project


 I started this quilt about a year and a half ago so it's a newer UFO. This is my version of a quilt I found in an older magazine of mine (no pattern available, circa early 1900s). Using EQ7, I came up with a block that worked...15" sq. The block is made up of HSTs, 9 patches and rail fence pieces. (113 pieces per block!)
These are some of the nine patches. Im using scraps so if I run short, another fabric is substituted in ...that will give it the vintage feel I'm looking for.


 Finished up this block...one more to go then sashing and cornerstones.
Would you like to make this block?
I put a tutorial together on a past blog post:


My quilt will be smaller since I'm doing 12 blocks and the original has 20. A 3"x15" sashing will surround each block, even on the outside edges. The cornerstones are 3" finished 9 patches. When it's done it'll be approximately 57" x 75"....nice as a throw or large lap...unless I change my mind and add another border. 
I just love it! 
Update 4/25/20: I've just found out this block is called Queen's Crown. It's always nice to be able to put a name to one.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Deb!!! I love it. Gotta make at least one block today so I don't forget. You rock!

Northern Deb said...

Hi Sally, I'm so glad to hear from you. Hope you're keeping safe and busy during this time. The issue is Sept/Oct 2009. The cover says "seasonal quilts in rich autumn colors".

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...