Sunday, April 5, 2020

Boy, how things have changed..

I haven't posted in a while...I just can believe how the world has changed in a bit over a month. We left Florida on schedule and got back home in time to stock up on groceries and necessities.

First it was the social distancing, then the "stay home order". Part of our family is in southeast Michigan where the virus is the worst. I think they're staying home and staying safe. Up here in the Traverse City area, it's not bad yet...maybe 9 or so cases.

When I finally sat down to sew, I started working on finishing up my Kaffe Bear Paw quilt. This was one of many UFOs I would be working on to finish up BEFORE starting anything new.
So I added a plain border, basted and quilted this quilt then attached the binding.
First UFO of 2020 ✔. I posted a picture on Instagram because I'm following and playing along with @2020finishalong 
This really pushes me to get projects done.
Next up is my #blueandwhitequilt 
It's a two color solid one that was started YEARS ago when I lived in Charlevoix. 
I am currently working on the final border...lots of white with a sawtooth edge and stars in the four corners. This is being designed as I go...just seeing what I think it needs. It'll be about 80" square when done...seems like a good size.

After making 188 half square triangles, I stopped working on this quilt to help out the local hospital. They are requesting face masks that can hold the N95 mask inside. I made a dozen then started sewing masks for family and friends. A call has been put out for these same masks to be made for first responders also. That's what I will be doing today. Not my favorite type of sewing but it's got to get done. Until the government can get more masks, we need these covers to be able to reuse what we have. I'm using a sheeting fabric for the inner because it's a higher thread count. 
The nurses in our area made a specific pattern request. We are making masks according to the ones recommended on this site: 

So that's it for now...STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY...STAY HOME!

No comments:

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...