Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Mochi Yum Yum Quilt top is finished

The Star Sampler Quilt top is done and I'm ready to layer and pin it. That Happy Mochi Yum Yum fabric sure is pretty.

I planned to wait until I could get together with some friends up here and use their church to do the pinning but I don't think I'm going to be able to wait that long. I might just get on the floor tonight and "get 'er done"! It shouldn't take all that long to quilt this.





 On second thought, I have the class tomorrow so I think I'll wait until after the first class to do the pinning.

This will be a Block Of The Month, March thru August, up here. I keep debating about making a second one that I can put together during class to teach the blocks. I really want a two color quilt and that's why I bought the red jelly roll that I broke into to make my Crown of Thorns block. That roll is now put to the side. The Crown of Thorns turned out so pretty that I just have to make that quilt. I might have to cut up a few yards of some other solid to use for these stars.... maybe a lavender? or blue?

For my second quilt, if I do it, I think I'll keep the center the same and the first round of stars, as is... BUT, I would put sashing between the last group that goes around. Mainly, that would be because my different blocks would all be in the same color so there wouldn't be anything to make them stand out as separate blocks. I think they would have a tendency to blend all as one.
SO, if I added 4" to the width of the inner white border, it would allow me to put 2" sashing between the blocks. That should be plenty, and it would keep with the style of the quilt. I'll have to do some figuring and see how much more background fabric that would take.

UPDATE: I went downstairs a bit ago and decided that I would seach for fabric in my sewing room (what a novel idea!) for the two solid colors I need for class...  for the next star quilt. I found a few choices.. I have plenty of Kona white, Kona snow, a royal blue, a deep red, dusty lavender and gold. I decided on the blue and white. Here's my first block to teach in class.

I changed the center a little just to keep it from being boring. It should be an all blue four patch but I like this better.

2 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a lovely quilt... congratulations on such a fabulous finish!

Will be looking forward to your two-color version!

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt!!!! Jenn

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...