Saturday, November 7, 2020

Thimble quilt

Yes!
I started a new quilt. Like most of my starts, I was simply cleaning up scraps...organizing them...slicing them up into 2-1/2" and 1-1/2 strips.

Why was I cleaning up scraps again?...well, the TV was on and election results were starting...and instead of biting my nails, I cut😀
So the 2-1/2" strip box was overflowing now with all the strips that were being cut out of scraps.  I grabbed my fairly new thimble template and cut a few....hundred. I stitched a few together to see how easy it would be...and I was hooked. I sewed them until I had a 6 foot piece...that was 50 thimbles. They're two inches tall when sewn in so I figure I need at least 36 rows. That should take about a month if I do a row or two a day.
This little template was purchased at Joann's Fabrics and it does the job but I seem to remember that @creativegrids has a better one. If you haven't purchased either and were in the market for one, I think it would make sense to check that one out. I think it had a bunch of thimble shapes in a row...so you could cut multiples from a strip quickly. My template does the job (and was very reasonably priced) but it's slow going. 

These little pieces are SO addictive! All 1800 pieces are cut out plus some extras...I might do 37 or 38 rows. 
So far I've sewn 11 rows...it's been 5 days. 
I don't want to have to put this on my UFO list. I would like to get it completed THIS year. 
DON'T LAUGH!! It's possible! 
It's going to be my 2020 quilt... Started in 2020...finished in 2020. 
Here's hoping!!




 

No comments:

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...