Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Carrot Orange Cookie Recipe :)


When Al and I were out shopping in the resale shops last week, I came across a vintage cookbook for 50 cents. It's from about the 1950s. We didn't bring any cookbooks or recipes down here and I've been wanting to do some baking so I tried this one... I have plenty of oranges and we bought lots of carrots to snack on. Here's the recipe I tried.. and yes, it's YUMMMMY!!


Carrot Orange Cookies


1 cup cooked and mashed carrots (about 2 cups raw)

1 cup sugar

1 cup shortening

zest from one orange (about 1 heaping tablespoon), reserving orange

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

2 cups flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients, beating well. Mix together the next 3 dry ingredients then add to above. Mix well till all is combined. Drop by heaping teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet.

Bake about 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack then drizzle with orange icing.


Orange Icing

Squeeze juice from the reserved orange. Start with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, mixing into juice. Add more powdered sugar until you get a nice consistency. Should be thick but still pourable. Drizzle or frost cookies. Let them dry.


1 comment:

Rebecca P said...

Those cookies sound yummy. I am going to have to try them. Thanks for the recipe.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...