Thursday, April 29, 2010

Busy, busy!

Seems like I haven't had much time to sit and relax lately... and even less time to get online and chat as much as I would like to. I've been keeping busy working at the quilt shop, sewing up samples, getting the house ready to go on the market and getting ready for a barn sale. We sure have a pile of junk to go through.

Yesterday I worked on doing a border for the round robin I'm in. I have Denise's to work on and it's all homespuns! I love those! It was a bit challenging to find just the right fabric for it. Our LQS doesn't carry very many plaids (almost none) so I had to head into Traverse City to find some. I decided to turn her block on point and add some stars but also added some little green triangles to the corners. I just love the way they work with the triangles that were put on by AJ. Sure hope Denise likes it... it's going to be a really pretty quilt when it's done... nice and warm and homey.
Today I worked for a bit and I also took home another project... I'm sewing up a quilt that has the "Hungry Caterpillar" as a theme fabric. It's going to be a sample for the shop. I just love Eric Carle books... and have quite a collection. You would think I'd have sewn up a few of these quilts by now but NO... this is the first one I'm working on. I have fabrics to make one but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Maybe because I have over 20 UFOs! I REALLY, REALLY need to get that list down...
I'm going to be teaching a class at the shop using Penny Haren's pieced applique technique and the book "The Farmer's Wife"... it's a really pretty quilt. I have two blocks made so far... only 111 to go :) This is going to be a block of the month quilt and we will probably be doing about 5 or 6 blocks in a month. They're only 6" in size and with Penny's way of doing them, they're pretty quick. It's going to be in my FAVORITE fabric line... 30's! The book shows them in civil war prints (my second favorite) but we thought 30's would be cuter. Plus isn't that what most of the farmer's wives would have used?

3 comments:

Scrapatches said...

Deb ... I love your border on Denise's RR! The green triangles look like an extension of AJ's border and the stars in your on point setting are a wonderful addition to the quilt. Amazing job! I am sure Denise will be most happy!

I have been having to make and update lists of all the stuff I have to make and send lately. I am afraid I would miss something if I did not.

I have yet to breakdown and buy the Farmer's Wife book ... but I keep going through it everytime I see it and I am weakening fast. 30's fabrics in this quilt sound lovely. Hmmm ... I am thinking some swap fabric may be destined for this project. I am looking forward to seeing your blocks. Sure wish I was close enough to be in your class ... :-) Pat

Rebecca P said...

Deb, once again the border you added is wonderful!
I agree with Pat, wish I lived near you to attend one of your classes. I have hear of the book Farmer's Wife, but have not seen what the blocks look like. Can't wait to see your blocks in the 30's. Maybe we could do the block of the month along with you here in blog land. You know, you post what block the shop is making, & we make that block. At the end, we can show & tell. Guess I should go check out the book first, huh? Think I will do mine in Civil War.

Northern Deb said...

Thanks, Pat and Rebecca... I'll get a picture of the blocks for the farmer's wife as soon as I get two more completed. I wish you both lived closer too!

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...