Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This is a really fast, easy applesauce recipe. I double, triple etc the recipe for each 5 large apples I have. Yesterday I had to multiply by 6 for my 30 apples.
Here's the recipe:
DEB'S EASY APPLESAUCE
5 Gingergold apples ( you can use any apple but may need to adjust the sugar)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt
optional: cinnamon to taste

Peel and core apples. Cut into large pieces and add to a pot along with the lemon juice, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until apples are starting to get good and hot. Put lid on and turn down to medium low. Let them steam and cook until semi soft. Mash up any large pieces and taste. Add more sugar if needed. Add optional cinnamon.
This makes a nice side dish served with pork....mmmmm

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

You are making me homesick for my apple trees at our house in California apple country. We had to check on the house recently and the tenant was making an apple pie. Smelled so good. But my favorite thing to do with the apples was put up jars of sauce. The golden delicious is the largest of the trees and prolific. We lost our last Gravenstein and the young Fuji's we planted are just starting to bear. These days I am aiming to eat a fresh apple a day. Such a lovely fruit.

Janet Brady said...

Hi Deb. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I still get so excited every time I see a new comment. Your recipe inspired me to make my own applesauce. I haven't made it from scratch since I taught preschool years ago. My new favorite apples are honey crisps. I hope they make ggod applesauce.

Northern Deb said...

Janet, I havent tried Honeycrisp apples as applesauce but they sure are GREAT eating apples. My husband can eat a bagful in a couple of days!

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...