Thursday, October 25, 2018

How to: Making HSTs

There are so many ways to make half square trianges (hst). I'm going to show you my favorite way. I use the Easy Angle (nope...they don't pay me). There are other similar triangle tools out there that would work too. It just has to have a 90° and a 45° to work.

The BIG TRICK is to cut your strips the width of the finished HSTs BEFORE it's stitched into the top.  So if your block is 12" and you need some  4" finish hsts...4-1/2" is the presewn size and also the size of your strips.

Cut two strips...lay them right sides together.

Lay the angle as above..the cut off point of the template lines up with the top edge of the strips...one of the other lines will lay on the bottom edge.

Cut as many as you can from the strip, flipping it every other piece to maximize how many sets you get.
KEEP THEM TOGETHER...take them right to the machine and chain stitch all the triangles (seam is the long edge)

 Cut them apart and press. No further trimming. They should be ready to go!

2 comments:

Barb H said...

I love the Easy Angle way as well.

Karen said...

I have the Easy Angle tools and don't make enough use of them.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...