Friday, April 1, 2011

Binding Tutorial


Today I worked on a scrappy project... doing the binding on it. The corners of this one aren't 90 degrees and as I was doing them I thought that maybe someone out there would like a tutorial on how to do binding. If you follow this step by step you'll be able to do 90 degree bindings and odd ones too.


I cut my bindings about 1-1/2" to 2" for most projects since I do single layer bindings... in other words, I turn my bindings to the back, turn under the raw edges then stitch them down. Many people do double bindings... they stitch the fabric on double (it's folded in half lengthwise, both raw edges being caught as they go around), then when they turn it to the back, it's already folded on the edge. If you do double bindings, you'll probably be cutting them 2-1/2" or so.


Another choice in binding is cutting it straight along the WOF (width of fabric) or cutting it bias (at a 45 degree angle to the selvage). On this project I cut it straight but I usually prefer bias binding. Either way will work with the tutorial.


Here's a link to it:


Let me know if you have any questions or if I can add pictures to make it clearer. I've helped my daughters to do bindings and I'm hoping that this will help others. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

2 comments:

Scrapatches said...

Congrats on the happy block win, girlfriend! I am kelly green with envy ... lol. Will have my blocks in the mail next time I go to the post office. I had a planned layout for these in my head. I was going to sash them in a yellow with kelly green sashing posts and set them on point with (not sure what color)setting triangles. Maybe a outside border. Oh, well, Maybe next time will be my lucky month. Looking forward to what lovely choice you make for next month's theme. :)

Thanks for the binding tutorial. I like double fold bindings and follow pretty much the same method except for the last ten inches. When I first learned to do this I followed a "fold one end under the other" online tutorial I found somewhere that makes my bindings too bulky at the meeting point and I have been doing it this way ever since. Time to get rid of this bad habit and make better. ;) Pat

Northern Deb said...

That sounds like a nice plan, Pat. I never thought I would win...and now that I did, I'm having fun thinking about what to do with them. I worked today and was checking out fabrics with spring flowers that had the greens and yellow. I like your idea of turning the blocks on point. Maybe I'll get out the EQ and see what I can come up with.

Funny you mention doing the binding that way.. a lady came into the shop today and I showed her the method I use... she always overlapped but didn't like the bulk.... so you're the second person today I've heard that does it that way.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...