Monday, February 12, 2018

BOW TIE BLOCK Tutorial

I've been posting on my blog and on Instagram about this Bow Tie quilt that I'm doing...it's my current "leader & enders" project.
I usually have one of these going so that i can easily chain stitch whatever other quilt I'm working on. Last year I made a HST quilt from scraps...this year bow ties. This is also my Rainbow Scrap Challege project...I try to cut up a bunch of scraps into these blocks according to the color of the month.
As I was browsing through IG pictures, I found a bow tie quilt that @vickifreeman12 had done...absolutely gorgeous!
She used slightly smaller bow ties...i wanted something that would use up my 5" charms and scraps of about that size without being TOO small. 
I came up with a 3" block...

These are scraps cut to size to be used as i need leaders and enders.

Since I've had a few people asking about this quilt, i thought i would do a quick tutorial...
For each Bow Tie:
Cut (2) background and (2) bow color 2" squares. Cut (2) 1-1/2" bow color squares.

Place a 1-1/2" color on the corner of a 2" backround. Stitch corner to corner.

Trim outside seam to 1/4".

Repeat with the other 1-1/2" color square. Press to the color.
Place these with the 2" color square as shown below to form a 4 patch.

Sew 2 together then the other two like below...press to the color so your seams "lock".

 Sew the last seam and press. I press this final seam open.

 When you have 9, or 16 or 25 (depends how large you want each block) sew them together ...all facing the same way.
Rotate the direction of each large block to form the design below. 
I may or may not do a border...we'll see. I love Vickis but I'm not sure I'll feel like doing that much work.
I sure hope the quilt i end up with is as pretty as hers. 
With this CONTINUING scrap project, I'll be linking up with all the other ladies sorting and sewing their scraps at OH SCRAP.

 And this quilt is a finish...binding on. Henry picked navy with stars...good choice Henry!


2 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I fell in love with that bow tie layout too. Great idea to sew those blocks as a leader project. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Northern Deb said...

You're welcome. I love OH SCRAP ...helps push me to stitch what i have. And just love scrappy quilts❤

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...