Saturday, March 4, 2017

March is here, FINALLY!

I love March. This is usually the month that Al and I take a 2 to 3 week vacation....leave winter and Michigan behind for the sunshine of Florida. And this year is no exception. We just arrived at the condo that we rent each year. Surprise, surprise...the weather is gorgeous!! Joking of course because ITS ALWAYS beautiful!

So since it's March the scrappy color has changed...it's red this month. I brought a few fabrics with me so that I could work on hand sewing but I wont be doing any scrappy blocks until I head home. My project for the next two weeks will be to work on my daughter's wedding quilt which is UFO number 11. The UFO for March is supposed to be #5 so I guess I'll be working on both. Bringing a sewing machine to the beach just isn't feasible ....our car is tiny and I have a ton of stuff as it is. If I add in a machine, cutting board, tools, more fabrics, more threads...well you know the drill, Al will have a FIT!
 
So hand sewing it is. These fabrics above are part of the scraps I brought for the hand sewing. Lisa and Dustin's wedding quilt is the 30's repro English paper pieced 6-point stars (that's a mouthful) that I've been working on for ages....AND I do mean ages...7-8 years! Sometime...maybe 4 years ago...Lisa asked if this could be here quilt someday. She hadn't met Dustin but once they were engaged she said she wanted this one for her wedding quilt. I told her it was unlikely that I'd get it done in time but I would try. Well, I knew that wasn't going to happen. Wedding plans, wedding shower, other daughter had our first grandbaby....life got in the way. SO, now I'm going to see if I can get it done for their first anniversary I'll post some pictures of the progress as I work.

So here's my sewing room for the next two weeks...not too hard to take, huh?


4 comments:

Karen said...

Good that you can get away to warmer weather. What part of Florida are you visiting in? We live on the eastern side of Florida. I don't like cold weather and snow and am glad to be in warmer weather during the winter months.

Northern Deb said...

Hi Karen, We are in the Gulf Shores area...west side. We came through Jacksonville and I tried REALLY hard to convince DH to head to the AQS show... no luck. He was anxious to get to the beach.

Barb H said...

Deb, the view from your balcony is gorgeous! I just came home from Gulf Shores/Ft. Morgan, AL, after a 5 week stay. Have you been to A&E Drug Store in Pensacola yet? Great fabric shopping there! Also, I finally persuaded my husband to stop at the AQ museum on our way home, and he just loved it! Maybe yours will too. Enjoy the warm!

Northern Deb said...

My quilting buddies vacation down around that area...Fairhope, Al. Seems I remember them saying something about that place.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...