Monday, October 16, 2017

An October finish!


This old UFO from 2009 or so is finished and on it's way to my brother in Northern California. If any of you were part of the Block Central quilt forum back in the day you might recognize these "happy blocks". We had a drawing between quilts from all over the world. Each of us that wanted in on the drawing would make two HAPPY BLOCKS (square in a square) using the theme picked by the previous winner. This group that I won was called Outdoors. It has bears, leaves, fish, ... Well lots of "guy" type prints. We always had two winners... Everyone sent one block to each of the winners. I decided, way back then, to alternate with off white blocks with plaid centers...something that would be in keeping with a mans quilt. Then I thought a brown and cream half square triangle sashing would really pop the blocks...and it does. BUT making those HSTs is why this has been a UFO for so long. 
Well, my brother turns 60 in a few days so I thought it was time to finish this up for him... Plus this is my year to get as many of these unfinished quilts done. #finishitup2017


And now onto the next project..I'm doing a wedding quilt for my nephew and his new bride. They picked this quilt above and now we are trying to decide on a backing. Hopefully this is finished up in October too.

3 comments:

Debra @ Life is a Stitch said...

Nice finishes!!! I have a handful of those almost-done quilts to work on, too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I have a pile of the same and I plan to tackle it while snowed in this winter. I just love this quilt and have put that notation of sashing into my book - so like this to add some pop.

Sally said...

Beautiful Deb. I must follow your lead and finish all these collections of blocks (and finished tops!)

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...