Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Start of a vintage style quilt


Here I go again....off on a tangent! I'm blaming my daughter for this... She wanted to borrow som shirting pieces and as I was digging through the box I found two small 9 patches. These were just small pretty scraps that I put together YEARS ago for no real reason than that I thought they looked nice together. They were then packed away and forgotten.


Well, once I found them I just couldn't stop thinking that they would be great in a vintage type quilt. Digging through my old quilt magazines, I came across a perfect pattern... The double 9 patch or Irish chain.


The pink is old....from the 80s. It was at the bottom of my solids tote and I'm crossing my fingers that it will be enough to do a twin size quilt.  The scraps for the small 9 patches are getting cut from shirts, old blocks (very old!) and old calicoes. These blocks above are very vintage.... If they were salvageable I would use them as is in a quilt but they have stains and holes. 


This star quilt top was a mess....puckered...torn...stained ....so again CHOP, CHOP!


These pieces were cut from those old blocks... They look so much neater.


I'm stitching them inti 3" 9-patches and not worrying if they are a little wonky. They'll just look that much more vintage :)
Seven Double 9-Patch blocks are done...I need at least 25 but hoping to get 32 made. I'll be alternating with the pink (hopefully!).  There won't be a border on this quilt unless I decide on a very small one. Got to keep it looking old.

2 comments:

Vic in NH said...

What fun to see your progress on your double nine patch with great saved vintage fabrics!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love this! I made a similar quilt some years ago. Good idea to salvage pieces from old blocks--I should try that.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...